National Communication Officer
The Community Resilience Activity-North (CRA-N) Project is designed to support community level resilience development and conflict prevention activities within the newly merged districts (NMD’s) of Khyber, Kurram, North Waziristan and Orakzai Districts within Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Province; CRA-N will pursue a multi-disciplinary and community participatory approach and will work in close coordination with the Government of Pakistan (GoP) at the regional and district level. The National Communication Officer will be working directly under the leadership of the CRA-North Deputy Chief of Party, and under the overall supervision of the CRA-North Chief of Party. The National Communication Officer will be tasked with providing a broad range of support to promote the effective communication of CRA-North programming across our partnerships within the target districts. This role will require planning, designing and implementation of all internal and external communication strategies and plans; while providing communications support to our HQ, Regional and District Teams in the design and implementation of effective communications and public awareness programming. The National Communication Officer will be instrumental in increasing the profile and visibility of CRA-North with donors, partners and community members through social media and publications, as well as strategic and on-message materials; utilizing high quality imagery, data visualization tools and professional publications to showcase the resilience programming efforts of CRA-North. These efforts will enable innovative and effective communications and media approaches that will support the reintegration of Temporarily Displaced Persons, enhancement of Community Cohesion and increase in Civic Engagement, while reducing marginalization and increasing resilience amongst remote communities within the newly merged districts.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
The National Communication Officer responsibilities include, but are not limited to the
- In close collaboration and coordination with the Deputy Chief of Party, plan, and execute internal and external communications activities ; while providing the required technical guidance, and support for the Regional Communications/Media Assistant in developing and publicizing the project’s communications and media programming (inclusive of blogs, social media, news stories, impact stories, deliverable reports etc.) that effectively communicate CRA-North and stakeholders’ resilience programming efforts.
- Develop clear messaging based on CRA-North’s core objectives and strategic priorities; while tracking communication opportunities and engaging proactively with the regional and district teams to document learning, share stories and showcasing the programming field work.
- Monitor views and perceptions of the various stakeholders and audiences and base positioning and communication recommendations on the information gathered. This includes the collection and analysis of website and social media metrics to gauge reach, engagement and other performance measures to inform external visibility and branding strategies.
- Identify and develop sample storylines for publication and substantive articles and opinion pieces contributing to debates on key issues at the core of CRA-Norths objectives and overall programmatic strategy.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of radio, television, social media and print programming that serves to strengthen CRA-North’s Voices of Peace platform; while supporting program partners and stakeholders with the design and development of communications products and outputs ( including Fact Sheets, Brochures, Newsletters, Presentations, Press Releases & other visual displays)
- Maintain close contacts with partners, donors, civil society and private sector for the implementation of the communication and publication strategies.
- Prepare relevant documentation, including project summaries, briefs, workshop papers, press releases etc. while designing and submitting newsletter updates for partners and key stakeholders in collaboration with the DCOP.
- Train HQ, Regional and District program personnel in effective communications approaches and skill sets, to ensure that CRA-North’s communication products are of the highest quality; while ensuring that project events, success stories and good practices highlighting the impact of CRA-North are communicated through local and social media.
- Participate in the design and implement the CRA-North Communications Strategy while ensuring that communications and media programming implementation efforts integrate community-based approaches with gender sensitivities across activities.
- Responsible for the development and submission of scheduled bi-weekly reports, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to the donor, reflecting progress on communications programming activities; while also reporting on the overall implementation environment.
- Collaborate with the media by organizing project site visits, facilitate photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate. Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Maintain a library of media coverage, clippings etc.
- Organize and participate in regularly scheduled Communication Workshops with youth, community elders, tribal & religious leaders to discuss the progress being made with the CRA-North resilience programming, identify challenges and resolve any outstanding issues which would impede the smooth implementation of our overall ‘Voices For Peace’ media platform.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s Degree: Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, International Development, Political Science or a related field ; or Bachelor’s degree within the same fields, with 2 years of experience.
- Experience working within a senior Communications role, preferably with experience focusing on Community Cohesion, Resilience, Civic Engagement, and strengthening vulnerable households.
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in communication strategy development is preferred.
- Excellent research and writing skills, with experience writing reports, newsletters and program updates, video production and developing web content is required.
- Experience in producing analytical reports and Video/Audio production and photography is required.
- Capacity to understand and analyze the local, district and regional implementation environment and how this environment caters to the effective design and implementation of community-based communications and media programming suitable to the geographical, cultural and political context.
- Knowledge of the newly merged districts (NMD’s) geography, culture, languages and government structure is a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge and experience working with USAID funded resilience focused programs is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience working with UN Agencies is preferred.
- Experience in graphic design is an advantage.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Urdu, with proficiency in Pashto considered a distinct advantage.
- Qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis skills and ability to communicate complex information to a range of diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skill sets in producing and managing content for online blogs, websites, social media platforms, radio programming.
- Experience with photography and capable of training stakeholders on proper techniques.
- Expertise in Microsoft office suite software, specifically, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills and possesses the ability to work effectively with others in a cross-cultural and fragile environment.
- Fluency in English & Urdu
We would encourage Female candidates to apply.